Monday, March 3, 2014

Homosexual Desperation and Hypocrisy

Can someone please explain to me why the LGBT community is so desperate for total and unequivocal acceptance? Why is it so impossible for them to say, "Hey, I'm Gay, you don't like it, and that's OK."

Let me tell you a story: I came from a family of mental illness and addiction. For years I continued to drink and smoke marijuana as an adult despite my family telling me it was a bad idea and despite having a diagnosis of being bipolar. I made some poor choices during my drunken states and missed out on some of my middle child's infancy. My family didn't approve of my lifestyle choices and they told me so. They never once pretended to accept the sinning I was doing. But it never, at any point, stopped them from loving me. THAT is loving the sinner and hating the sin.

Being Catholic, there's one thing I have learned beyond a shadow of doubt. Not very many people like Catholics, except other Catholics. Not only do we have a bad rep (which is largely and nearly exclusively based on misconception and ignorance) but we also seem to be a huge easy target. When people talk badly about Christians, 9 out of 10 times, they're talking about Catholics. How many pregnant nun jokes around Halloween? How many Pope joke memes on facebook? Do you see us all pouty and whiny demanding everyone love us and support us no matter what? No. We accept that others don't agree with us and we move on. We don't NEED everyone to love us. We love ourselves and we love each other.

The moral of this story is:

Feeling that how someone is living their life is wrong and refusing to placate them or tell them it's OK when you don't feel it is, is not hate, it's love.

If you really feel that there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, then you don't need anyone else's approval. Let alone, you shouldn't need to BEG for it.

Also, if you're going to put out there that everyone should be equal and have equal treatment, then practice what you preach. It seems like you either have to be part of the LGBTQ lifestyle, agree with the LGBTQ lifestyle, or be bashed as hateful and ignorant.

I'm proud to say that I'M A CATHOLIC, AND ME AND MY CHURCH DO NOT AGREE WITH THE SIN OF HOMOSEXUALITY. BUT IF YOU LIVE THAT LIFE OR SUPPORT THAT LIFE YOU ARE STILL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST AND I LOVE YOU. I WILL NOT TELL YOU IT'S OK TO DO WHAT YOU DO BECAUSE THAT WOULD MAKE ME A HYPOCRITE. BUT I WILL NEVER TURN MY BACK ON YOU.

-Blessings



3 comments:

  1. Your words say acceptance, but your tone says hate. I don't think the entire LGBT wants people to agree with them, either. They just don't want other people to discriminate against them by making laws against them. Also--speaking in terms of "them" and "us" is rarely helpful. Not trying to be rude here, just point out some things that you might not realize.

    If you are interested in my take on the subject, I wrote about it here: http://17hourdays.com/does-god-hate-gays/. I got a TON of responses from people with all different viewpoints, but everyone was very polite. How often does THAT happen on the Internet??

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I always like to hear stories of people recovering from addictions, so I just want to say that I think that is awesome!

    Second, I like your point about Catholics being bashed (AND discriminated against) and yet there is no "Accept the Catholics" movement out there.

    Third, and this is more of a thought towards Brittany's comment above, there exists this narrative about discrimination towards homosexuals that has been perpetrated that is such baloney.

    What laws exists "against gays?" Marriage is the hot topic items right now, but there are no laws against people with same sex attraction getting married - they can! Now, in some states still, they may not be able to marry who they want (i.e. a person of the same sex). Obviously, it is important to marry the person you want to spend your life with, so there may be some restrictions on who a homosexual person can marry, but there is nothing that prevents a homosexual person from getting married.

    Some will say that is a stupid distinction to make but it is actually important because of if restricting who a person can marry is "discrimination" then we have all kinds of "discriminatory" laws. For example, people can't marry their sibling, people can't marry an animal (yes, some have sue to try to), people can't marry a minor (without parental consent), people can't marry multiple spouses, etc. All those groups of people know who they want to spend their lives with, but they are restricted from doing it. They are not being discriminated against.

    If "who" we marry becomes the object of discrimination, from a legal standpoint, then get ready for a whole host of law suits from people who want to marry their sister, their pet rock, or three people simultaneously. And then how will we be able to say no?

    The act/process of getting married is not withheld from homosexuals in this country, any more than it is heterosexuals. WHO is allowed to marry one another does come with some restrictions, some apply to homosexuals, some apply to heterosexuals. But this idea of "laws against" is a false narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Brittany, I'm not sure how the tone of this piece is "Hate." Frustrated, maybe,but HATE? I think I specifically said I do not HATE anyone, in fact, I stated more than once that I love everyone despite their lifestyle.The thing is, I know that homosexuality goes against my God, but that doesn't mean I or my God hates them. He loves me despite my many daily sins and transgressions. I'm no better than a homosexual, or anyone else living in sin. In fact, I'm living in sin right now, as my marriage is not blessed by the church.

    As far as your remark about speaking in terms of them and us, That's just how I feel. ANYONE who doesn't condone or turn a blind eye toward LGBTQ is painted as hateful and ignorant. That right there, in my opinion, paints a clear and defined like between, "us and them."

    To Christopher, that is a very good point. Though, I will say it is a bit on the technicality side. But it is a very good point.

    ReplyDelete